When you give a command to a dog (or spouse), you don’t necessarily expect it to obey without years of careful training. But not so when it comes to your windows. When you try to open and shut them, you have a right to be treated like an alpha dog (or alpha spouse).
There are 5 commands every window should obey without giving you any lip:
- Open! – Does you window slide open easily, without fighting with you every inch of the way?
- Stay! – When you lift open your window, does it stay in place or does it impersonate an 18th Century French guillotine?
- Shut! – When you close it, does it shut all the way, without any sunlight peaking in from above or below?
- Tilt! – If you have sliding switches at both ends of the top of the sash, do they slide easily, still have unbroken tips at their ends that poke into the window jamb so they actually DO something, and allow the window to tip toward you without the sash falling out of its track and dropping on your foot?
- Lock! – When it’s closed, can you easily flip or rotate that little lock on the sash, or do you have to slam the window sashes up and down until it fits into the slot?
You know, many homeowners call us thinking they need all new windows, until we tell them their existing windows can be repaired. Think of the savings!
So, if any of your windows cannot comply with the simple commands above, call the window whisperers at Fix St Louis. Who says you can’t re-teach your old windows their old tricks?